UPDATED 2018-01-09 — FINAL DETAILS ADDED
We're going tent-camping on Jan 11-13! This is an open invitation to adult males (not limited to members of PURC). Our goal is to glorify God by strengthening our bonds as a group of flawed men striving for righteousness. Our hope is to build each other up in Christ and return to our families and vocations better prepared to act boldly for the glory of our sovereign God.
See the magic map below. If you'd prefer to convoy on Thursday, be at the main Danzeisen dairy (6829 W Broadway Rd Phoenix, AZ 85043) no later than 10am to load up and depart by 11am. Friday arrivals can arrange their own convoy.
What is Provided:
PURC is providing some food and gear:
- FRIDAY & SAT BREAKFAST — burritos (eggs, bacon, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tortillas, salsa, butter) coffee, sugar, dry creamer.
- FRIDAY LUNCH — Bread, peanut butter, jam
- SNACKS — granola bars
- FRIDAY DINNER — Kelly Moss is providing meat; bring your own sides
- GEAR — Grill, propane, basic cook stuff, foil, hand sanitizer, baby wipes
What to Bring:
- Food — Additional meats, sides, spices, snacks, or dietary needs. Sharing is encouraged and welcomed.
- Water — Gallon-per-person-per-day recommended.
- Clothing — Warm clothing, hats, gloves or mittens, boots, etc.
- Basic Camping Gear — Tents, sleeping bags, pillows, TP, flashlights, camp chairs, etc. Bring tarps/canopy, if you have them.
- Personal cookery — Your own fork, knife and spoon as well as drinking cup/glass, etc.
BTW, we are going to attempt minimal footprint and will be using paper plates/tortillas, The goal here is austerity...keep this in mind when packing!
- THURSDAY: Set up camp — including fire pit, latrine, 'tent city' and 'kitchen'
- 7-9 am — campfire meeting/devotions. BRING YOUR BIBLE AND A NOTE PAD AS WELL.
- Optional course — I've put together a talk on what to do in those 'oh no' moments either in the woods, home or whatever. I'll go thru my kit as well as my dream med kit, go over anatomy, physiology and things to think about when putting a kit together. I've had a number of questions on what would you do for...or what if I... I had originally intended a formal thing but we're gonna keep it relaxed and informal and take it from there.
- Other activities are planned and will be discussed at the breakfast table Friday morning.
If winter tent camping in the desert with no restrooms or running water isn't your idea of a good time please send this link to someone who might be interested. Personally, that has us all the more excited to explore mines, watch stars, grill, and such activities as belong in the badlands. If you're of such hardy stock (or aspire to be!), then plan to join us for any or all of the days. Dress warm and prepare for the nightly conflagration. And if you have a telescope, bring it!